Frequency, Frequency, Frequency.
Why Is Frequency In Marketing So Important? In real estate, it’s all about Location, Location, Location. In marketing, it’s all about Frequency, Frequency, Frequency.
Take a reality check to determine how clearly you understand what your prospects are thinking each time they look at your advertisement. The owner of a small business takes a Leap of faith and contracts to run a weekly ad in the local newspaper with a frequency of once a week for a full year. Five ads in five weeks seems like a lot of frequency in marketing. Five exposures do indeed establish some momentum. But they don’t even come close to create enough desire to motivate a sale. You got to know just what your prospects think from each exposure here is exactly what each one things as he or she looks at the ad you’ve run:
- The first time a man looks at an advertisement he does not see it
- The second time he does not notice it.
- The third time he is conscious of the existence.
- The fourth time he faintly remember us having seen it before.
- The fifth time he reads it.
- The sixth time he turned up his nose at it.
- The seventh time he read it through and says “oh brother”.
- The eighth time he says “here’s the confounded thing again”.
- The ninth time he wonders if it amounts to anything.
- The tenth time he asks his neighbor if he has tried it.
- The eleventh time he wonders how the advertiser makes it pay.
- The twelfth time he things it must be a good thing.
- The thirteenth time he being perhaps it might be worth something.
- The fourteenth time he remembers wanting such a thing a long time.
- The fifteenth time he tantalizes because he can’t afford to buy it.
- The sixteenth time he things he will buy it someday.
- The seventeenth time he makes a memorandum to buy it.
- The eighteenth time he swears at his poverty.
- The nineteenth time he counts his money carefully.
- The twentieth time he sees the ad he buys what it is offering.